I got the idea for this when I was in England – Yo! Sushi serves delicious “Firecracker Rice” this is my take on it.. albeit with a little bit of difference.
WARNING: if you are going to use raw fish in this like I do. MAKE SURE you get #1 grade or sushi grade fish. You cannot just buy random raw fish or frozen and thaw it. You will get sick.
- What you'll need:
- - 1 cup of sticky rice
- - 1 1/2 cups of water
- - 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- - 1 tbsp of olive/vegetable oil
- - 3-4 dashes of salt
- - 2 tsp of granulated sugar
- - 3 green onions - chopped
- - 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- - tspn Shichimi Togarashi (Japanese 7 spice blend)
- - 2 tsp soy sauce
- - #1 grade (sushi grade) raw tuna or salmon
- Rinse rice through strainer until water runs clear. Throw into pot, add 1 1/2 cups of water, cover and bring to a boil. Turn down to medium/low heat and leave alone for 17 minutes. Do not uncover! Remove from heat & keep covered.
- In a wok or pan, add rice vinegar, oil, salt and sugar - bring to a boil on medium heat and stir until sugar has dissolved.. Add in onions, mushrooms and Shichimi Togarashi. Saute for about 7 minutes.
- Add in cooked rice and stir so all the rice is covered in the vinegar mix. Add in soy sauce.. stir.
- Keep on medium heat, stirring occasionally until rice is fried.
- and serve!!! Throw the tuna or salmon on top for even more deliciousness.