This delicious dish comes courtesy of my Armenian aunt, who makes this bread all the time, she calls it “choreg”. This easy sweet bread recipe and tutorial is fairly straight forward, you must follow the recipe exact though, otherwise it will be flat. You dont HAVE to braid it.. but it’s an easier way of handling it otherwise it will become a MASSIVE loaf of bread. So here’s how to make homemade sweet bread!
- 2 sticks of butter
- 3/4 sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 3 packages of yeast
- 1/3 warm water
- 7 cups flour (NOT self raising flour)
- 4 eggs
- In a pan, heat butter, milk & sugar.
- Bring to a boil, then cool until warm
- In another boil, mix together, yeast, water & 1 teaspoon sugar - leave for 15 minutes.
- Crack & beat the 4 eggs.
- In a large bowl - get your 7 cups of flour ready.
- Pour in eggs, yeast mix & sugar/butter mix.
- Mix together until a dough is formed.
- cover and let rise for 3 (THREE!) hours.
- Once risen, form into shape. (Braids are easiest, if you don't know how to braid, see my tutorial here )
- Leave again for an hour
- Bake at 350 until golden brown.