Dubbed the Mexican ‘impossible’ cake or the ‘magic’ cake, this delicious dessert is a nice two-layer bundt cake. The bottom is a decadent chocolate and the top is a vanilla flan. The best and most magical part of this dessert, is that it is cooked upside down, but the layers FLIP during the baking process. You start by pouring in the cake batter, followed by the flan mix, but when you pull the cake out of the oven, the cake batter will be on top!
I was a little afraid to make this cake to be honest, because I wasn’t sure if the almond flour would be too heavy and the cake wouldn’t turn out. However it worked out almost PERFECTLY. I used a half a cup of whey chocolate protein powder so that it’d be a little more fluffy than with just almond flour. I wish the outter appearance of the cake was a litter neater, but the taste was SPOT on.
My first cookbook – Keto Cravings – is on Amazon now!
The flan in chocoflan is traditionally made with condensed milk. You could use my condensed cream recipe, but it would have added a TON more calories, so instead I used two cups of heavy cream instead. The original recipe also uses cajeta – a Mexican caramel made with goats milk. Since I can’t get that here in Ireland, I ordered a delicious sugar free caramel syrup online.
1 1/2 cups (150g) almond flour
1/2 cup (45g) chocolate protein powder (I used whey)
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1/4 cup (50g) sugar substitute
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup (60g) sour cream
1/2 cup (117ml) water
1/4 cup (50g) butter - melted
2 cups (500ml) heavy cream
2/3 cup (125g) sugar substitute
1 tbsp vanilla extract
sugar free caramel sauce or cajeta
butter for greasing
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the cake.
- In another bowl, mix together the flan ingredients.
- Butter or grease the entire inside of the bundt pan.
- Place a thin layer of caramel sauce/cajeta on the bottom of the bundt pan.
- Pour in the cake batter and make sure it is even in the pan.
- Pour in the flan mixture.
- Place the bundt pan into a casserole dish and pour 1-inch of boiling water into the casserole dish.
- Cover the bundt pan tightly with foil.
- Bake at 350°F / 176°C for 70-80 minutes. Make sure the cake is done by inserting a toothpick and making sure it comes out clean.
- Cool to room temperature and it's advised to cool in fridge for an hour before taking out of the bundt pan and serving.
This make roughly 12 slices.
Nutritional Information per slice:
- CALS: 309
- FAT: 28.9
- CARBS: 5.4
- FIBRE: 1.8
- NET CARBS: 3.6
- PROTEIN: 9.8
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 309 Total Fat: 28.9g Carbohydrates: 5.4g Fiber: 1.8g Protein: 9.8g