Print Friendly, PDF & Email

An easy keto bread recipe you say? This is one of the most highly requested recipes in the keto world. Finally after TWO years of keto, I have found the primo bread that will save a lot of cheat days.

The best part of this recipe is that it is SO EASY. Honestly, it takes me about 5 minutes to whip up plus 20-25 minutes in the oven. SO EASY.

Now let’s talk about baking with almond flour and protein powder. There’s no substituting in this recipe. Both are needed, but especially the protein powder.

keto bread recipe, easy keto bread recipe, keto white bread, keto bread, low carb bread, almond flour bread

Keto white bread straight outta the oven.

In regular bread, gluten is a prime ingredients and it is a protein. So when replicating a bread without gluten, you’ll need the extra protein to make sure it rises and acts similar to bread.

For this recipe, I used whey protein isolate. I have tried this with soy isolate and it has NOT worked, however I have heard feedback from other keto-ers that you could replace the whey with casein or egg protein and you will have similar results to the video.

Keto white bread toasted and buttered! The top slice is not toasted or buttered.

Again, no substitutions.. if you try this with coconut flour, you’ll need another nut-free flour to go with it otherwise the bread will turn out incredibly stiff and more like cardboard and styrofoam. I have tried and the results were NOT pretty.

My first book – Keto Cravings – is on Amazon now!

The best loaf pan size for this bread is 9×5.. if you use something bigger, you may have to double the recipe.

Hope you enjoy this keto bread recipe! It is great for toasting, french toast, grilled cheese and so much more!

If you like this recipe, be sure to check out our similar keto bread rolls, nut free bread rolls, cheese bread, brown bread or our Hawaiian Sweet Rolls

Keto White Bread

Keto White Bread

Yield: 16
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Super easy bread that takes only 20 minutes to bake! Gluten and grain free, this keto loaf is perfect for grilled cheese, toasting or french toast!

Ingredients

Instructions

1. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
  2. Slowly add in the water and stir until you get a dough.
  3. Pour into a loaf tin lined with parchment paper.
  4. Bake at 375°F / 190°C for 20-25 minutes.
  5. Take out and enjoy!

Notes

This makes roughly 16 slices.

Nutritional Information per slice:

• CALS: 136
  • FAT: 8.8
  • CARBS: 4.2
  • FIBRE: 2.3
  • NET CARBS: 1.9
  • PROTEIN: 11.9

Nutrition Information:
Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 136 Total Fat: 8.8g Carbohydrates: 4.2g Fiber: 2.3g Protein: 11.9g
Liked it? Take a second to support hungryelephant on Patreon!

49 Comments

1. Kathryn

February 12, 2019 at 1:02 pm

I’m definitely going to try this one! I’m guessing that is 1.25 cups of warm water = 11/4 cups?

February 12, 2019 at 1:09 pm

2. Kari Bohning

February 12, 2019 at 1:04 pm

I made the rolls recipe that is similar to this one and they turned out very dry and dense I could barely talk them down with butter on them. What can I do differently with this recipe to make sure that that doesn’t happen? I have a thermometer that I use and my husband has a culinary degree. He helped me with them.

February 12, 2019 at 1:10 pm

hey! sorry – i moderate comments because I get a lot of spam. Someone mentioned they added olive oil to it (although I’m not sure how much) and that they really liked it.. you could make the rolls recipe and add some olive oil there so you don’t waste as much?? although to be honest, this bread was also dense (but not dry)

3. Kari Bohning

February 12, 2019 at 1:23 pm

I can handle dense- it’s the dry that gets me:-) how much butter/ olive oil/ coconut oil would I add? What could I be doing wrong if mines dry?

February 12, 2019 at 1:48 pm

So the person that made it used 1/4 cup worth of olive oil so hopefully that works!

• diana

March 13, 2019 at 3:19 pm

I found that the brand of whey protein isolate I was using made everything really dry and inedible. When I changed brands, everything turned out very well. I now use Tera’s Whey and others like Isopure.

4. Kari Bohning

February 12, 2019 at 1:27 pm

I wonder if adding oat fiber somehow, would lighten it up?

February 12, 2019 at 1:47 pm

Hmm might be worth a try. I havent tried nor can I get oat fibre in Ireland so I can’t say for certain

5. Marie

February 13, 2019 at 2:40 am

Can I use Erythritol sweetener instead of xanthan gum? Thanks

February 13, 2019 at 1:43 pm

No, xanthan gum is a binder similar to gluten. You can replace it with psyllium husk or flax seed

6. Alisa

February 13, 2019 at 9:11 am

do you know what protein could be used if one is dairy and egg free?

February 13, 2019 at 1:42 pm

I’ve seen people buy pea protein but I’ve never tried it.

7. Lisa

February 13, 2019 at 2:40 pm

I have made the white bread and cheese bread recipes. I’m so happy I came across the recipes. They taste great. The only thing I needed to do is leave the bread in my oven longer by 20 minutes. Thanks

8. Dusty

February 14, 2019 at 1:15 am

The bread is great ! What’s the best way to store it ?

February 14, 2019 at 6:23 am

I wrap in cling/seran wrap and store on the counter!

9. Peggy kossow

February 18, 2019 at 9:22 am

Is 1.25 cups of water 300 ml? I measured out 300 ml and it was way less and my bread dough was very thick. You didn’t actually put the word cups in your recipe so I jumped on the 300 ml you wrote. It is in the oven as I write. Please let me know on this. Thanks!

February 18, 2019 at 9:34 am

Hey! 1.25 cups is about 295ml. How thick was it? Did it turn out ok?

• Peggy

February 18, 2019 at 2:43 pm

Am eating right now. Popped two slices in toaster. Put on butter and my homemade chia strawberry jam. I absolutely love it! Taste is very very good. I only baked for 20 minutes only because of my concern about the water, and it turned out great. Sorry for the panic. Thanks for the recipe!

February 18, 2019 at 9:43 am

Great! Glad you liked it! Sorry for the confusion! I’ve added the words cups in there now Haha

10. Jenifer

February 18, 2019 at 9:29 am

Is the dough suppose have a thick or thin consistency? Also do you have a video of you actually making this recipe?

February 18, 2019 at 9:35 am

Hey! there is a video at the top of the blog post! If you cant see it, theres also one on my youtube channel youtube.com/hungryelephant – the dough will be more on the thicker side

11. Julie Gillespie

February 18, 2019 at 10:00 am

I tried this. It tastes great but it’s hard. Did I do something wrong?

February 18, 2019 at 3:44 pm

each oven is different so it may have run hotter than what I had! also it comes out of the oven hard and softens up over time

12. Jean

February 19, 2019 at 8:11 am

What kind of whey protien did you use? How many carbs are in the protien powder?

February 19, 2019 at 12:20 pm

I use Isopure unflavoured and there are zero carbs. If you cant find a zero carb protein powder, the ideal ones are under 5 per 100g. Most are 3 carbs per 100g just make sure it has no additives, or sugar or anything

13. Robin

February 22, 2019 at 3:26 pm

Hello! I’m wondering how you got the macros you show for this bread. I calculate the protein per slice being 28g. I know that macros vary by the brands we use but thats a huge jump. I’m wondering if you meant two scoops of whey protein isolate and not two cups? Also what brand whey did you use?

February 22, 2019 at 10:36 am

Hey! So I used Isopure brand whey isolate. I definitely meant two cups, but its easier and much more accurate to calculate macros by weight.. Cups can vary so much. 2 cups of whey isolate is approximately 4.5 scoops. Hope that helps!

14. Kim

February 23, 2019 at 12:10 am

Yum! Thanks!
    I just made it and it came out beautiful. I read above and added a Tbsp. of olive oil and then I sprinkled everything bagel seasoning on top. Love it!

• Kim

February 23, 2019 at 12:47 pm

Ok, still love the bread, but as I cut into the center it was hollow and raw while the ends, top and bottom were cooked perfectly. Any thoughts?

February 23, 2019 at 12:51 pm

It seems like it needed a bit more time in the oven. How long and what temp did you bake it?

• Kim

February 23, 2019 at 8:16 pm

380, checked it at 20 minutes and left it for another 5. I will keep trying until I figure it out.

15. Krista

February 25, 2019 at 6:10 pm

What size loaf pan did you use? And can you sub for egg protein powder instead?

February 25, 2019 at 6:13 pm

9×5 and egg protein should be fine but I havent tried it

• Krista

February 26, 2019 at 9:38 pm

Thank you! This turned out great! Have you tried freezing it? I’m due in May and would love to have some of this in the freezer.

February 27, 2019 at 10:45 am

I havent tried freezing it but it should be fine!

16. Michelle Calicchio

March 1, 2019 at 12:07 am

Well, I finally found it… This is it, this is the bread recipe! I have tried so, so many recipes that were either too eggy or had that weird spongy texture because of psyllium husk or were just flat or crumbly…but not this one.!!! This is absolutely the closest to traditional wheat bread that I have found. I used unflavored whey protein and it turned out amazing! I cut a slice fresh from the oven and slathered it in butter and it was so delicious and completely satisfying. I can’t wait to dip it in olive oil with herbs and spices… This could be a substitute for Italian bread, sandwich bread… I’m so excited to try it in so many applications. My bread pan is a little too wide so I think I need a different bread pan to make it taller so I can use it for sandwiches. What size bread pan did you use?

February 28, 2019 at 7:09 pm

Omgosh so glad you like it!! Mine was 9×5!

17. Mark P

March 9, 2019 at 2:39 am

This recipe made the best keto pizza ever, way better than fathead pizza. I spread the dough on a piece of parchment on top of my 16 inch cold pizza stone. Then 15 mins at 375F followed by 1 min under the broiler until lightly browned. I topped it then broiled it until the cheese melted. Wow was that good. It does not flex like other keto pizzas so you can eat the slices with your hands, woo hoo!

18. diana

March 14, 2019 at 8:09 pm

I made this yesterday and I really like this bread! It is very fine-grained, almost like a dense pound cake. It is also fairly neutral in flavor—although the almond flour definitely contributes a very light nutty note.
    I tried it plain, and found that it was quite nice, even without butter. I toasted a piece plain and a piece with butter and love the way it toasted—nice and crunchy!
    It’s sturdy enough that you can slice it almost paper thin, so I’ll be getting probably 30 slices from my loaf. I made a panini sandwich with two slices today, some meat, cheese, tomato & lettuce and it worked perfectly in the panini press. I also made a piece of cinnamon “sugar” toast with butter, allulose, and cinnamon, and it was fantastic. I’m going to be experimenting with making this into buns and rolls as well.

March 14, 2019 at 8:16 pm

Yay so glad you like it! I’ve def made them into rolls and used them as hamburger buns. They are great!

• Terry

March 24, 2019 at 10:24 am

Hello, have you made the buns/rolls? Please share if you have. Thanks

19. Cynthia C.

March 22, 2019 at 6:15 pm

My DH and I loved this fluffy yummy white bread. I wasn’t sure if my brand of grass fed whey powder would work, so I whipped up 2 egg whites and folded them in gently. I used a butter flavor salt and added 1/4th cup of melted butter/olive oil mixture, since I’m a sucker for butter when baking bread. This will be my go-to recipe for white bread or rolls from now on.

20. diana

March 23, 2019 at 8:49 pm

I made this last week and froze it in individual slices separated by waxed paper. Every day I get out a slice and toast it, some days with cinnamon “sugar” (I use allulose) and some days just plain. It’s one of the best low carb breads I’ve tried out of probably over a hundred or more in the last 17 years. But… the 2 cups of whey protein isolate come to about $8.80 with the brand of whey protein I’m using. And I haven’t even calculated in the cost of the almond flour and other ingredients, which I am sure bring this small loaf to over $10. What do you recommend for the whey protein, or do you find that it’s just got to be bite the bullet and pay through the nose for a good bread?

21. Amy

April 7, 2019 at 1:04 pm

Hi, I ran out of almond flour, so I used coconut flour for the rest. I had a hard time getting 16 slices out of it because it was so crumbly. Could this be because of the coconut flour? I will definitely try this recipe again when I get more almond flour. I miss buttered bread and this is close!

April 7, 2019 at 4:38 pm

hey! yes, its definitely the coconut flour. I’ve tried it with just coconut flour and it was awful. Coconut flour also needs 2x more water than almond because it absorbs so much.

It’s so much better with just almond flour, I promise 🙂

22. Margaret Freeman

April 14, 2019 at 9:41 pm

This bread is fantastic! Can’t believe how good it is. I did use .25 cup avocado oil. Best keto bread!

23. Marwa

April 16, 2019 at 5:48 am

will this work with whey concentrate or milk protein isolate?

April 16, 2019 at 11:13 am