Mmmmm. I can’t even explain how delicious this loaf is! It’s like a mix between carrot cake and apple pie! Now, I did have to make a few changes to make this loaf keto but it really tasted amazing!
In the original Morning Glory muffin, they usually add raisins. You can add them too, but I hate them so I left them out. Secondly, the basic muffin uses shredded apple. Since apples are high in sugars, I swapped it out for zucchini. Feel free to add a few squeezes of lemon or even some apple extract to add some tartness to the loaf.
For this recipe, I used an average size carrot and zucchini and shredded them by hand. I don’t recommend buying pre-shredded carrots or zucchini because they are thicker and won’t really cook into the loaf.
In addition, I recommend to follow this recipe to a T – I say this because if you add too much liquid, no matter how long you cook it, the inside will be soggy and feel undercooked.
Now you don’t have to make this into a loaf. You can also make them into muffins and they will still be equally as delicious.
- 1 medium carrot - shredded
- 1 medium zucchini - shredded
- 2 medium eggs
- 4 tbsp sour cream
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum (optional)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 4 tsbp brown sugar substitute (I used Surkin Gold)
- 4 tbsp white sugar substitute (I used erythritol)
- 2 cups (200g) almond flour
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the carrots, zucchini, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, vanilla, sugar substitutes and xanthan gum.
- Crack in the eggs and spoon in the sour cream. Mix again.
- Pour in the almond flour and baking powder.
- Whisk until it forms a thick batter
- Pour into a loaf tin (9x5) that is lined with parchment paper or greased.
- Bake at 375°F / 190°C for 45 minutes. Check with a toothpick to make sure it is done.
- Let it cool for 30 minutes before eating.
This makes roughly 16 slices.
Nutritional Information per slice:
- CALS: 104
- FAT: 8.9
- CARBS: 4
- FIBRE: 1.9
- NET CARBS: 2.1
- PROTEIN: 3.9
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 104 Total Fat: 8.9g Carbohydrates: 4g Fiber: 2.1g Protein: 3.9g