Easter is coming up and I don’t know about you, but easter buns are in HIGH demand here in Ireland. So it was time to make my easy hot cross buns recipe into a keto version!!
My two cookbooks are on Amazon now! Paperback and E-book!
For this recipe, I used whey isolate. This is needed for this recipe and while other non-whey protein powders can be swapped in for the whey, there is NO protein substitute at the moment. You will need a powder.
As for the rest of the recipe, it’s pretty self explanatory. Usually hot cross buns have raisins or currants in it, but they are both HIGH in sugars, and not ideal, otherwise they’d bring the carbs up.
You can add some dry cranberries if you really want the fruit, but I’m not a big fan so I left them out.
I think the best thing about these buns are that they are packed with fat and protein! Each bun has about 27g of fat and 14g of protein.
I really hope you enjoy this easy hot cross buns recipe!
If you like these rolls – check out my dinner rolls, Hawaiian Sweet Rolls, White Bread and nut-free dinner rolls!
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients for the buns.
- Pour in the heavy cream and melted butter. Whisk together.
- Begin pouring in the water while you stir. It will form a thick batter.
- Use wet hands to make 10 smooth dough balls.
- Place the dough balls onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 375°F / 190°C for 10-15 minutes or until the top is a golden brown.
- While the buns bake, whisk together the icing ingredients.
- It should be a thick gel-like consistency.
- Once the buns are out of the oven, let them cool.
- Use a sandwich bag or piping bag to place a cross across the top of the buns.
- Serve and enjoy!
This makes roughly 10 hot cross buns.
Nutritional Information per bun:
- CALS: 295
- FAT: 24.7
- CARBS: 6.8
- FIBRE: 3.4
- NET CARBS: 3.4
- PROTEIN: 14.5
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 296 Total Fat: 24.7g Carbohydrates: 6.8g Fiber: 3.4g Protein: 14.5g