Fried chicken with a twist – these keto Dorito chicken legs are absolutely amazing and SO easy to make!
For this recipe, I used chicken legs – bone and skin on. You can use any chicken you’d like but best to have skin on for that extra CRUNCH.
My cookbooks are available in ebook and paperback on Amazon!
I made a previous recipe for Doritos using cheese powder but this time I figured I’d give it a try with nutritional yeast. It was delicious! If you can’t find cheese powder or nutritional yeast, you can try parmesan cheese. YUM.
A few tips before I get into the recipe: if your chicken is very wet in the package, gently dry it off with a paper towel before dipping into the whey isolate (or coconut flour).
I did try to deep fry the chicken already coated with the dorito dust BUT the dust dissolved into the beef drippings when I was frying it.
Remember to be safe when frying (alternatively, you could bake them) – keep a lid and fire extinguisher near by! Choose an oil with a high smoke point.
If you like this recipe, make sure to check out my keto Doritos, crackers/chips, or fathead flatbread!
4 chicken legs - bone & skin on (around 900g)
1 scoop (30g) whey isolate (or coconut flour)
Beef drippings (or other oil) for frying
1/2 cup (50g) nutritional yeast
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp paprika
salt (to taste)
1 tsp sugar substitute (optional)
- In a bowl, whisk together all the Dorito dust ingredients. Set aside.
- Heat up the oil for frying. Make sure temp does not go above smoke point.
- If chicken is very wet, dry with paper towel.
- Rub the whey isolate (or coconut flour) over the raw chicken. Make sure it is generously coated.
- Place one of the coated chicken legs into the HOT oil.
- Fry until nice and crispy - flip as needed. It should take about 15-ish minutes.
- As soon as the chicken is done, place it into the Dorito dust and generously coat.
- Set the dorito chicken aside as you continue with the rest of the meat.
- Once you're done - serve! I served mine with yummy cauliflower rice! I'd also add a nice portion of fat!
This makes roughly 4 dorito chicken legs, but you could probably get several thighs, drumsticks and wings out of this recipe.
Nutritional Information per leg (no cauli rice)
- CALS: 294
- FAT: 4.7
- CARBS: 6.1
- FIBRE: 2.5
- NET CARBS: 3.6
- PROTEIN: 57.2
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 294 Total Fat: 4.7g Carbohydrates: 6.1g Fiber: 3.5g Protein: 57.2g