Well.. It’s been ONE FREAKING YEAR since I joined the keto team and its been a WILD ride.. one that I won’t be giving up anytime soon.
I’ll be honest, like a lot of people, I was expecting to only do this way of eating for a month.. but once I started, I couldn’t stop! There were so many health benefits that I noticed, I knew I couldn’t go back to eating carbs. (More on that later)
So where am I now? I can happily say I met my weightloss goal! I actually went back through a few videos I did at the beginning of keto and can definitely notice a massive difference. So I’m now in maintenance mode with intermittent carb-up days. I still eat keto 100% of the time, but don’t count macros and just keep my carbs to under 25g a day. I have a ‘carb-up’ day, sometimes every 2 weeks, other times once a month.
What I loved:
- Weight loss – started at 200 in Feb 2017, now I fluctuate between 155 & 160.
- Mental clarity – my anxiety & depression are nearly GONE.
- Confidence boost – this is just a no brainer. 🙂
- Sleeping better.
- Stabilized my moods, especially around “that time of the month”
- Boobs got smaller (PHEW!)
What I hated:
- Keto flu – Ive had a few bouts.. Pickle juice or broth all the way!
- I get sick easier – maybe its my electrolites, but I rarely get sick in the winter.. so far it’s been twice this season.
- Cravings – yup, still get them sometimes!
- Lack of foods when eating at restos – a no brainer.. you just have to make it work!
Would I do this all over? Heck yes! In fact, I wish I had done it earlier! I spent the last 7 years in a constant state of anxiety, low self confidence and bouts of depression. It’s much easier now.
To those just starting:
- Stay with it – even if you fall off the wagon, get back on!
- Accidentally knock yourself out of ketosis? Find out what you did wrong and learn from it.
- Don’t judge others – we’re all trying to better ourselves, so let’s be nice and help those who need it but not in a rude or judgemental way.
- Don’t focus on the scale – take your measurements but don’t feel like you’re failing if you don’t lose pounds in a week. It won’t happen overnight..
- Like the one above – this isn’t magic. The weight will come off, just take your time.
I hope this way of eating helps you with your medical, physical or emotional goals. Just remember to keto on!