What a great comfort food! I had never had chicken and dumplings before I made this but after cooking it a few times and changing up the recipe.. I’m in LOVE and I think I found the perfect gluten free/keto chicken and dumplings.
My cookbooks are on Amazon now!
**This recipe has been updated as of Wednesday May 8th, 2019**
Ive updated this recipe because it seemed several people have had issues with the dumplings dissolving in the broth. So I’ve tried with a different recipe that will be easier and will not break down when cooked in water. The soup is still the same, but the dumplings are different.
You will definitely notice that the dumplings will be a bit sticky – so its important that you let the dough sit for a few minutes so that the psyllium husk will soak up the liquid.
If you like this recipe, make sure to check out our keto Chinese dumplings!
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup green onions
- 2 garlic cloves - minced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 chicken thigh - cooked and chopped
- 3/4 cup (75g) almond flour
- 1 scoop (30g) whey isolate
- 2 tbsp (10g) psyllium husk
- 2 tsp olive oill
- 1 tsp water
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp sage
- In a pot, heat up your butter, garlic, onions and carrots.. Saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add in your xanthan gum and stir then quickly add in your chicken broth. Stir and bring to a boil.. letting it simmer.
- While it simmers, time to make your dumplings.
- In a bowl, combine your almond flour, baking powder and spices. Stir in one egg. If your dough is really sticky, add additional almond flour until your dough is smooth and not sticky.
- Take teaspoon size chunks of dough and roll them into balls. Place the balls into the simmering chicken broth.
- Cover and let them cook for 15 minutes. Covering them is important!
- Add in your chicken, let it heat up and then serve!