Keto Bread with Vital Wheat Gluten

by hungryelephant

One of the main reasons we avoid wheat bread on keto is because of the grains – but what people don’t know is that the protein in wheat – aka gluten – is entirely keto friendly and very low carb! If you’re lucky enough to be able to get your hands on some, you can make this keto bread with vital wheat gluten!

keto bread made with vital wheat gluten, vital wheat gluten bread, vital wheat gluten flour, vital wheat gluten bread low carb recipe, vital wheat gluten bread recipes, keto vital wheat gluten bread, keto recipes with vital wheat gluten, low carb bread with vital wheat gluten, low carb bread made with vital wheat gluten,

**NOTE: This bread contains gluten and therefore anyone with celiac or gluten intolerance should NOT make this bread. (In fact, I’d avoid it if you even live in the same house/apartment as someone who lives with celiac/intolerance)

So I haven’t tried making this vital wheat gluten bread in a bread machine but it’s worth a try. If anyone gives it a go – let me know how it turns out!

The two main ingredients in this bread – vital wheat gluten flour and almond flour. You will want to make sure that you get vital wheat gluten flour and NOT gluten flour. Most gluten flours are just high protein wheat flours that are high in carbs.

As for the loaf pan – I used a 9×5 loaf tin, but I also halved the recipe and tried in a 1 loaf pan (see pics below). I recommend using an 8.5 x 4.5 for optimal rise. The 9×5 was great but a little wide. The 1lb tin worked perfectly for half the recipe so a proper 8.5 x 4.5 pan will work just as well.

9×5 tin (left) – 1/2 recipe in 1lb tin (right)

I used a stand mixer – as seen in the video attached to this page. It’s really important to check the consistency of the bread frequently. It should only take around 5-10 minutes for it to be kneaded properly (even if it doesn’t look like it) so you’ll want to pull a piece of the dough and if it stretches without breaking (and you can feel resistance from the gluten) then you’re good to go.

keto cravings cookbook, keto cravings

Buy my two cookbooks on Amazon now!

After it’s done in the mixer – it won’t really look like a bread dough – so to bring it all together, I oil the counter and my hands so I can knead until it’s a nice dough that is stretchy and there’s no holes in the outer layer. That’s when it’s good to place into the bread tin to rise.

Leave it covered and rising for about 2 hours and it should double in size. However, it may rise differently  depending on altitude, humidity and yeast. (For eg,. traditional yeast is probably better than instant yeast)

And that’s all there is too it! If you want to give a gluten free keto friendly bread a try – take a gander at my keto white bread recipe!

Yield: 25

Keto Bread Made with Vital Wheat Gluten

Prep Time: 30 minutes
Rising Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours 15 minutes

A low carb loaf that looks and tastes like real deal! This vital wheat gluten bread is super easy to make!

Ingredients

Instructions

1. Add all the dry ingredients except salt to a mixing bowl for a stand mixer.
  2. Stir
  3. Add salt and stir again.
  4. Pour in the water and olive oil. (If you are using traditional yeast - proof the yeast in this water with a tsp sugar 15 minutes prior to this step.)
  5. Use the paddle attachment and turn the mixer on to the lowest setting.
  6. Mix for 5-10 minutes, checking consistency of dough frequently. When the dough is stretchy, has some resistance and doesn't break - that is when you can stop)
  7. Oil the counter and your hands and knead the dough for an additional 2-3 minutes until it's nice and smooth.
  8. Place in a 9x5 loaf tin and cover with seran/cling wrap and a towel. Let rise for 2 hours.
  9. Bake at 350°F / 175°C for 45 minutes.
  10. Let cool, slice and enjoy!

Notes

If you're having issues kneading by hand and it keeps tearing - let the dough sit for 5 minutes and add a tsp of water.

This makes around 25 slices.

Nutritional Information per slice:

• CALS: 120
  • FAT: 8
  • CARBS: 3.6
  • FIBRE: 1.4
  • NET CARBS: 2.2
  • PROTEIN: 9.6

You may also like

52 comments

Kari April 23, 2020 - 7:00 pm

Where do we use the insulin?

hungryelephant April 23, 2020 - 9:49 pm

the inulin you mean? in with the dry ingredients 🙂

Jess April 23, 2020 - 9:52 pm

How much sugar can I use instead of the inulin? A Tbsp?

hungryelephant April 23, 2020 - 9:57 pm

yup! a tbsp should be fine (or a tbsp and a half if you want to be safe)

Dan May 6, 2020 - 2:58 pm

Inulin substitutions that won’t affect fast too much? Psyllium? Hard to find that stuff😄!

hungryelephant May 7, 2020 - 2:19 pm

The inulin is there to feed the yeast so unfortunately if you want to omit it, I’d use a tbsp of sugar so that the bread will rise. It shouldnt affect blood sugar as it will turn into air bubbles!

Dan May 8, 2020 - 2:28 pm

Thank you! Also, my question should have said “taste”, not “fast”. Sorry!

Donetta Gonzalez May 6, 2020 - 3:59 pm

How much water would it be in cups? Thank you!

hungryelephant May 7, 2020 - 2:23 pm

Its around 1 and 1/3 cups!

Jackie May 24, 2020 - 2:20 am

can you please tell me how many cups for the gram measurements? thanks

Melissa McClure May 24, 2020 - 1:17 pm

My husband and I have been doing keto for about a year and a half. I used to make potato bread every week so going from really great homemade bread to “keto” bread has been a challenge. I have probably tried twenty different recipes and while one might look pretty good, it tasted terrible. Another tasted “ok” but looked terrible. And none of them ever had the kind of rise I had come to expect after years of bread making.

I made this recipe yesterday. I could see the gluten was at work when I took it out of my stand mixer. I formed the loaf and let it rise. I set a timer to check at the one hour mark, and I’m glad I did – it had risen so much that I quickly got my over to temp because the dough threatened to overflow the pan. It came out nicely browned and with a beautiful dome. I held my breath – I’d seen keto breads come out of the oven looking good, but they often deflated after a few minutes. As the minutes ticked by, it held its shape.

I must admit that I could not wait until it was totally cool to cut into it, but it held up to the knife and I smeared softened butter on my piece and took a bite. I’m pretty sure the sound I heard was angels singing!!! This is the closest to real bread I have come, and when you toast it, I think it is every bit as good as real bread. I cut the loaf into slices, froze them on a pan and put them in a baggie in my freezer.

This morning, I made breakfast and asked my husband if he wanted toast with his omelet. He paused a moment and remembered the bread I had made yesterday and got excited. I defrosted the slices in the microwave and toasted them in butter. Oh my. It was so so good.

I have gotten used to the meals that are “in a bowl” because you have to ditch the bun. While I will still do that sometimes, it will now be because that is the way I prefer it that day, but now I have a recipe for buns that will let me CHOOSE which way I want it. I have plans for bruschetta, french toast, bread pudding, hamburger buns, and I’m thinking of tweaking it a bit and trying to make cinnamon rolls.

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I cannot wait to experiment with it and see what I can come up with!!!!!!

Barbara May 31, 2020 - 10:48 am

Thank you for the recipe. Can I use a bread machine?

hungryelephant June 2, 2020 - 9:12 pm

should be fine!

Alex May 28, 2020 - 5:32 pm

Hi there, could you use regular almond flour and not a fine one? cause shops around me only sells regular.

hungryelephant May 28, 2020 - 8:59 pm

Yup! Should be fine!

Carol cote May 31, 2020 - 11:30 am

I made this bread yesterday. For a Keto bread, it’s about as close to bread as it’s going to get. The ingredients are minimal, the flavour, texture is bang on. For people just starting keto, this bread, like other keto bread have more of a chewiness to them. I had this bread toasted, and it’s great! I used my bread machine to mix and nead the bread, then continued your recipe as written. I don’t care for the crust in a bread machine as it heats up gradually which causes a heavier bottom crust. So, I cooked it in my propane oven, 45 mins was perfect! Thanks for the work you put in to give us this recipe. It definitely helps us to stay keto. Your buns are next on my list to make. Can’t wait…

Patricia May 31, 2020 - 1:50 pm

I have made this recipe twice, a total failure both times. The appearance was perfect but once cooled and sliced the bread looked and tasted like rubber. It was awful.
I don’t have a stand mixer so I did all by hand. Could that be the cause?
Is the amount of Vital Wheat correct??
Can you give me the amounts of almond flour and the Vita Wheat in cup measurements please.
I really don’t want to give up on this recipe.
Thank you.

Gail June 3, 2020 - 3:25 pm

I, too, tried making this twice and both times it was terrible. It was so dense and rubbery. I weighed the almond flour, vital wheat gluten and inulin (it seemed that there was an excessive amount of inulin so reduced it the second time with no change). I proofed the yeast (it was fine) but the bread barely rose (rised?). It was also very grainy and I used ultra fine almond flour from Costco. It smelled amazing when it was baking, but I am so disappointed. What am I doing wrong? Suggestions please.

hungryelephant June 3, 2020 - 3:45 pm

Hey Gail! It may be because of your elevation. It will rise differently for those who live closer to sea level than those who live higher. That might be why!

Gail June 3, 2020 - 6:15 pm

Thank you for your prompt reply! I live about 1 km from the ocean, elevation 76 meters (about 249 feet) above sea level. What should I do to improve the rise? Maybe knead it less? My stand mixer kneaded for about 10 minutes.

Gail June 3, 2020 - 6:18 pm

Thank you for your prompt reply! (I hope this isn’t a duplicate,) I lived about 1 km from the ocean, about 76 meters (259 feet) above sea level. How should I adjust for that? I also kneaded it for about 10 minutes with the dough hook. Should I knead it less? I appreciate your help. I love bread and really, really want to make this work for me.

Lauren June 4, 2020 - 6:37 pm

I am so so so excited to try this! Do you happen to know grams to cups conversion?

Peggy Long June 7, 2020 - 12:54 pm

What can I substitute the inulin with? Is it important to the recipe?

hungryelephant June 9, 2020 - 1:38 pm

you can replace it with 2 tbsp sugar. it is needed to feed the yeast.

Julian Wechsler June 11, 2020 - 1:00 am

I’m gonna be honest and say that I did not have high hopes for this bread. I generally use vital wheat gluten to make meat replacements as a vegetarian but I’ve recently also started a weight loss journey and have been trying to eat lower carbs. This was my first crack at making low carb bread and I was worried because the structure of my dough felt somewhat “stringy” so I went back and forth from hand kneeding with oil to using my mixer. I’m happy to say this bread turned out awesome – super soft and bread like, has good structure and crumb texture. Once it cools I plan to slice it up and individually freeze it for long term has.

Valentina June 17, 2020 - 4:34 pm

Hi! Can i replace the inulin with 2 tbsp of granulated endulzant?

hungryelephant June 17, 2020 - 4:35 pm

I’m not sure what that is but if it feeds the yeast then yes! If it doesn’t, I recommend sugar (which will be eaten up by the yeast)

Katie June 21, 2020 - 3:47 pm

Hello, Elephant! Your American readers would ab grateful for a conversion form metric to Other for measures. I see that different conversion websites indicate that 240 g. VWG should be about 1.2 cups by volume or 2 cups by weight. Help! I’m going with weight, but between this and the almond flour, this seems like a pretty big set of dry ingredients for a fairly modest amount of yeast in the recipe. Are you able to help us out here with reliable conversions? I’m eager to try this bread, although I’ll be doing it the old-fashioned way, mixing it by hand and kneading it by hand. THANK YOU for sharing the recipe!

hungryelephant June 22, 2020 - 10:46 am

Hi Katie! WHile I usually do provide conversions for almost all my recipes – this one is a bit different because any slight adjustments may throw the whole thing off. Vital wheat gluten is tempermental and if too much flour or water is added and the ratio is off it may not turn out. For this recipe, Id recommend the conversion going by volume. (It was roughly 1.5 cups when I did it).. hopefully you have no issues!

CORI June 22, 2020 - 1:16 pm

What else could I use in place of the inulin but still keeping it keto? What does this taste like, km not a fan of the eggy breads so this recipe intrigues me.

hungryelephant June 22, 2020 - 1:25 pm

You could use 1 tbsp of sugar instead. It won’t affect carb count because it will be eaten up by the yeast and turned into carbon dioxide .to make the bread rise!

james July 5, 2020 - 7:30 pm

Hey there! This recipe looks really awesome and I plan on trying this very soon! That said, I have never really been a fan of almond flour and recently learned about how some people have been using whey protein powder isolate instead with better results in terms of flavor and texture. I was wondering if you might try experimenting with that instead as a future project? Thanks for this again and hope to try it soon!

hungryelephant July 7, 2020 - 4:20 pm

Hmmm in my opinion, Im not a huge fan of swapping almond flour for whey – they dont have the same consistency or liquid absortion. I like using them together though. Im working on a dough that will be almond free soon so I will let you know!

Katie June 26, 2020 - 5:50 pm

I am not sure what went wrong, it barely rose and I couldn’t make it smooth to start with. When I watched the video after I noticed you put 3tsp of yeast where as your recipe says less. Could that be the problem? I also used pink himalayan salt instead of normal salt.

hungryelephant July 7, 2020 - 4:25 pm

hey! sorry for the late reply. Not sure what went wrong! the 1/2 tsp less of yeast shouldnt have been the issue. Was your yeast old??

Lisa July 19, 2020 - 12:07 pm

I would love to make this but the Gram thing throws the recipe way off for me 😐 Do I have to get a scale in order for me to make this? I’m in the US. Thank you and I and so excited to try this!!

hungryelephant July 23, 2020 - 12:11 pm

I would get a scale. its so handy especially for bread since its pretty vital that ingredients arent over or under in weight!

Debby September 8, 2020 - 3:22 pm

Hi, buy a scale..!.believe me I use mine multiple times per week to measure vegetables and such..you are looking at about 10 bucks..

Rose July 21, 2020 - 1:36 pm

I made this once and it was a bliss!
Unfortunately, I can’t stand the almond flour taste well, so I was thinking of substituting it with some fiber, such as oat fiber or potato fiber.
I’ve already used it with farmer’s bread with quark cheese and it was good, too. But too eggy.
I don’t know if you’ve ever used oat/potato fibers and if you could suggest the ratio with almond flour.
I might test it starting with 100gr of fiber and adding as working the loaf.
It could be a good nut free version.

hungryelephant July 23, 2020 - 12:11 pm

Im working on an oat fibre version but I havent perfected it yet!

Ilham Hikmi July 21, 2020 - 6:28 pm

Hi dear. I tried the recipe today and the result is beyond my expectation. It looks like a legit white bread. The color, the smell, the shape. I didn’t taste it yet because I am doing intermittent fasting but I can’t wait to have it for tomorrow. I’ll let you know! I was creaving for white beard . Thanks a lot

Meiko July 22, 2020 - 11:37 am

Hello,
Does kneading with the dough hook not work with this recipe? Just curious.

hungryelephant July 23, 2020 - 12:10 pm

Hi! i found using the dough hook didnt work as well as the other one.

Mike G August 8, 2020 - 8:33 pm

Fresh out of the Oven, and it’s amazing. I used a bread machine on manual for 10 min for the initial knead and it worked great. I’d been baking a lot during quarantine until the whole house went Low carb this week. You can barely tell the difference between “real” bread and this… Delicious.

PS. Small 8oz boxes of vital gluten are expensive in a regular store, but on Amazon you can find a giant 4lb bag for $10 and the same quantity of almond flour for about the same price so making these loaves is WAY more affordable

Dee Lane August 14, 2020 - 3:07 pm

I don’t have a stand mixer with dough hooks. Can i use my food processer with the blades. I really want to try this bread👍

hungryelephant August 18, 2020 - 4:11 pm

I swear someone has made it in a food processor before so it should work!

Lynn August 17, 2020 - 10:21 am

I found this recipe a couple of months ago and have been using it ever since. One question about the 50g of inulin. How much is that in tablespoons? I only use 1 tsp and the bread rises just fine. Actually, with this recipe I use one 9×5 pan and one 8×4 pan. I tried using only one pan and it rose too high. This past couple of times I have had a bit of trouble getting it to knead together. I don’t know if it’s too wet or dry when I take it out of the mixer. I had holes in one loaf a couple of times. I have to say this is the best that I’ve found so far.

hungryelephant August 18, 2020 - 4:10 pm

Id say its around 5 or 6 tbsp. Im sure you can reduce the amount if you want. I just like the added fibre. I as well had a problem recently where it wouldn’t knead together. I think the weather might affect it as it was really humid here when I tried to make it.

Marthia August 21, 2020 - 12:14 pm

Can you make it in a bread machine?

hungryelephant August 26, 2020 - 10:11 am

Ellie August 25, 2020 - 2:50 am

Hello, just wondering what the weight of the final loaf ends up being? thank you!

hungryelephant August 26, 2020 - 10:10 am

Im actually not sure and i dont have any on hand at the moment, sorry!