A yummy treat enjoyed by Mexicans during weddings, Christmas and quinceañeras! The cookies themselves are unsweetened (they are dipped in sugar substitute) but have a slight cinnamon taste because you flavour it with hot cinnamon water. YUM.
So usually anise is added to the hot water as well however, I made a dorky move and forgot to crush the seeds so it added absolutely no flavour and was all cinnamon. STILL YUMMY THOUGH. You can add a bag of anise tea or 2 tsp crushed anise seeds to the water if desired.
These Mexican shortbread cookies are enjoyed during weddings, Christmas and quinceañeras! The keto pan de polvo's are just sweet enough with a hint of cinnamon!
- 3/4 cup (150g) butter – room temperature
- 2 cups (200g) almond flour
- 1 1/2 cups (354ml) boiling water
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 bag of anise tea (or 2 tsp anise seeds)
- 5 tbsp sugar substitute
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Place your cinnamon stick (and anise) into a cup. Add your boiling water and let it sit until it is room temperature.
- Place your butter, almond flour, baking powder and xanthan gum in a mixing bowl.
- Use a hand mixer (or do it by hand) to mix the butter and almond flour until it becomes a coarse, soft graham cracker type mix.
- Slowly pour in 1/4 cup (60ml) of the cool cinnamon/anise water into the dough. Make sure it is cool otherwise it will melt the butter.
- Use your hands to knead the almond flour into a smooth dough. Wrap in seran/cling wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Take out the dough and keep it in the seran/cling wrap while you use your hands to roll it into a long log shape.
- Take off the cling wrap and cut the log into pieces. It should make roughly 20 cookies.
- Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 10-12 minutes at 350°F / 175°C
- While the cookies bake, whisk together the sugar substitute and cinnamon.
- Once the cookies come out of the oven, sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar and let cool.
1.2 net carbs per cookie
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 125Total Fat: 12.5gCarbohydrates: 2.5gFiber: 1.3gProtein: 2.5g