I get a lot of questions whenever I make a recipe with fathead dough – can it be dairy free? Well now it is! Vegan fathead dough!
The original fathead dough consists of almond flour, mozzarella, cream cheese and an egg. It was actually fairly easy to make vegan!
I substituted vegan mozzarella for the mozzarella, omitted the cream cheese and replaced the egg with coconut yogurt and psyllium husk.
Ok – but there are a few differences than regular fathead. I must warn you!
This vegan fathead dough is more suited to thin crust pizza, empanadas, tortillas or something else that has a thin bread crust.
This dough does NOT rise well. To be honest, I will be trying it again but with baking soda instead of baking powder.
HOWEVER, it does make an amazing thin-crust pizza!
Secondly, the amount of carbs in your vegan mozzarella can vary from brand to brand. This fathead dough is a little bit higher in carbs but worth it!
I used Violife Mozzarella, which is a coconut oil based cheese, but using a nut based mozzarella might lower the carbs a little bit more.. BUT it’s important to check your ingredients!! A lot of vegan cheeses, like ‘Follow Your Heart’ and ‘So Delicious’ use palm oil (which could be against your morals)
Try to find one that is coconut oil or nut based with a small amount of starches.
Let me just say, the whole carbs in this ENTIRE pizza, is equal to one slice of regular wheat pizza. So it’s definitely low carb!
If you like this recipe, make sure to check out my vegan condensed milk!
Vegan Fathead Dough Pizza | Low Carb
A vegan version of fathead dough! Super easy to make! Best topped with protein & fat. Carbs in one pizza = one slice of regular pizza.
- 1/4 cup (25g) + 2 tsp almond flour
- 1 cup (100g) shredded vegan mozzarella
- 1 tbsp (5g) psyllium husk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 tbsp coconut yogurt - unflavoured
- Your favourite toppings
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the almond flour, psyllium husk, xanthan gum and baking powder.
- Stir in the coconut yogurt. It won't full incorporate but do the best you can.
- Melt your vegan mozzarella either in the microwave or on the stove on low.
- Mix the mozzarella in with the almond flour. Once mixed thoroughly, it should be a smooth ball of dough that doesn't stick to your fingers.
- Roll the dough between two pieces of parchment paper until it is a flat.
- Roll the sides of the dough into a crust and form a circle.
- Bake at 350°F / 175°C for around 10 minutes. Until the crust is firm.
- Take out and top with your favourite toppings!
- Bake again at 350°F / 175°C until hot.
This makes roughly 8 slices.
Nutritional Information per slice (DOUGH ONLY)
- CALS: 62
- FAT: 5.3
- CARBS: 4.3
- FIBRE: 0.9
- NET CARBS: 3.4
- PROTEIN: 0.8
I can’t have almonds. Is there a substitute for the almond flour that would work?
Lupin flour would work if you dont have a peanut allergy!