A keto chocolate swirl! I had a regular one at Starbucks not too long ago and knew I had to make these keto!!! They are just amazing and so chocolatey.
This recipe is super similar to my cinnamon roll recipe – in fact it’s almost exact, except swap cinnamon for chocolate.
Because there’s no gluten in this recipe, it’s hard to find a dough that will hold together and be able to roll – so that’s why I used fathead dough.
While I’m not regularly a fan of fathead, using it as a sweet dough is actually pretty good – you can’t taste the cheese at all!
I added a scoop of whey isolate in here to give it a more fluffy texture, similar to bread. It worked really well!!
I recommend baking these for 15 minutes before checking on them. You want them to rise/expand from the baking powder and brown a little but not TOO much otherwise they will get too hard when cooled.
I found between 15 and 20 minutes is perfect!
Enjoy with a nice cuppa!
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the almond flour, whey isolate, baking powder and 1/4 cup (50g) of the sugar substitute.
- Scoop in the melted mozzarella, egg and vanilla.
- Stir until the almond flour becomes a little bit incorporated to the mozzarella then use your hands to knead into a dough.
- Between two sheets of parchment paper, roll the dough flat into a rectangle shape (doesn't have to be precise).
- Brush the top of the flattened dough with melted butter.
- Sprinkle on the rest of the sugar substitute evenly across the dough.
- Do the same with the cocoa powder and the majority of the sugar free chocolate chips.
- Roll the dough up into a log, similar to how you roll a carpet.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the log of dough into 8 slices.
- Place into a muffin tin lined with cupcake liners.
- Bake at 350°F / 175°C for 15-20 minutes.
- Take out and enjoy!
This makes roughly 8 chocolate swirls.
Nutritional Information per bun:
- CALS: 216
- FAT: 17.5
- CARBS: 3.4
- FIBRE: 1.6
- NET CARBS: 1.8
- PROTEIN: 11.4