What’s your favourite things to add to bread? I love onion and cheese, so of course I had to make a keto onion bread with some cheese!
I’ll tell you right now, this amazing keto onion and cheese bread goes into the oven smelling delicious and comes out smelling even better – if that’s possible/ It is probably a new go-to when I want some toast in the morning or it would even be great used as a toastie of grilled cheese!
So before we begin with the recipe – a few notes. It’s important to try and chop up the onions, garlic and shallots as small as you can. It’s important because the larger they are, the more moisture will be released into the bread as they cook. If theres too much moisture, the inside may not fully cooked when you take it out.
Secondly, as per all of my other bread recipes, there is no substitute for the protein. You could try other proteins, such as egg or pea, but as of right now, I have yet to find a suitable alternative.
- 2 cups (200g) almond flour
- 4 scoops (100g total) whey isolate unflavoured
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup (60g) sour cream
- 1/2 cup (45g) green onions - chopped finely
- 1/2 small onion (35-40g) - chopped finely
- 1 shallot - chopped finely
- 2 garlic cloves - minced
- 1.5 cups (150g) shredded cheese
- 1 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- In a large mixing bowl, add your onions, garlic chilli flakes salt, pepper and cheese.
- Pour in the sour cream and mix thoroughly.
- Scoop in the almond flour, whey isolate, xanthan gum and baking powder.
- Begin mixing and start adding in the water until you have a thick paste like dough.
- Spoon into a lined or greased loaf tin (8.5x4.5)
- Bake at 350°F / 175°C for 50 minutes. You will know it's done when you push down on the top and feel resistance. If it feels empty when you press it, the bread needs more time.
- Cover the top with foil when you've reached the half way point.
- Take out and let cool.
This makes between 23-25 slices!
Nutritional information per slice:
- CALS: 75
- FAT: 7
- CARBS: 2.5
- FIBRE: 1
- NET CARBS: 1.5
- PROTEIN: 7.5