Well you could say I am way behind to the fritters bandwagon, cause you’re probably right. I got this idea from a fellow Keto-er who wanted a good zucchini flatbread that could be used for pizza. Well, I tried.
Despite my efforts, they came out more like fritters, so that’s what I will call them. They however are still incredibly delicious. These keto fritters actually reminded me, and it’s scary how similar it was, to regular potato hash browns.
Now – before ya’ll come up all into the comments, you can spice these up anyway you want. Add some cheese? Go for it. Take out the chilli flakes? SURE. Just keep the base ingredients of zucchini, egg, almond flour and baking powder (the xanthan gum is optional)
Also the fritters are incredibly easy to make. Just stir the ingredients together, place a spoonful on a non-stick (or greased pan) on medium high heat and flip!
One thing I will suggest is, flatten as you flip. When I first tried these, the dough kept getting stuck to my spatula. So instead, I scooped it onto the pan, let it sit for about 30 seconds before flipping and then flattening with the top of my spatula.. and every time I flipped, I’d press down a little more.
I hope you all enjoy these as much as I did! (I ate like 5 in one serving. Woops) Eat with some sour cream and chives or some extra cheese!
- 1 zucchini - grated
- 1 small onion - chopped
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum (optional)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1.25 cups (125g) almond flour
- In a bowl, stir together all the ingredients.
- Place your non-stick or greased pan over medium-high heat and let it get hot.
- Take a golfball sized spoonful and place in the pan. Wait 30 seconds before flipping and then flatten with the top of the spatula.. Every time you flipped, press down a little more.
- Once the outside gets a nice brown colour to it and holds its shape nicely, place on a plate to cool.
- Continue with the rest of the dough.
- Serve with your favourite breaky items!
This makes approximately 8 fritters but you could probably get a few more if conservative with your spoonfuls.
Nutritional Information per fritter:
- CALS: 127
- FAT: 10
- CARBS: 5.7
- FIBRE: 2.3
- NET CARBS: 3.4
- PROTEIN: 5.8
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 127 Total Fat: 10g Carbohydrates: 5.7g Fiber: 2.3g Protein: 5.8g