Keto flan – or Creme caramel is a dish out of France & Spain. Also called crema catalana, it’s a firm custard with a soft caramel drizzle that is cooked right into the flan.
So this flan is a little imperfect.. but you get the gist of how to make it. Just make sure you don’t overcook it otherwise you will have bubbles! (mine does)Take the flan out when it is just set.. meaning the top is flat and smooth, the outsides are set and firm but the centre is wobbly. Just make sure it is not TOO wobbly and like liquid. It should have a gelatin feel to it.
You will definitely want to make sure that you cool the flan in the fridge before serving. That will firm it up a bit more but still maintain a liquid caramel.
It’s actually super easy to make. I thought it’d be hard but hell na! Super easy!.
This keto flan is perfect to wow your guests at any dinner party!
Keto flan - or Creme caramel is a dish out of France & Spain. Also called crema catalana, it's a firm custard with a soft caramel drizzle that is cooked right into the flan.
- 4 tbsp erythritol
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup erythritol (not a mistake! this is in here twice)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- In a deep pan, heat up your tbsp’s of erythritol and water on medium-low. Bring it to a simmer before adding in your butter.
- Stir occasionally until it becomes a dark amber colour… but make sure it doesn’t burn! It can burn easily!
- Once you have a nice amber colour going, scoop your caramel into three ramekins. Let it sit and cool.
- In a bowl, mix your cream, 1/4 cup of erythritol and vanilla. Stir until the sugar substitute has dissolved.
- In another bowl (or measuring cup) whisk together your eggs and egg yolk. Slowly whisk that into your cream mix, stirring until the egg and cream are one liquid (the egg whites don’t clump together etc)
- Pour your cream into the ramekins on top of the caramel. Place your ramekins into a casserole dish and fill it with boiling water (alternatively, you could fill the dish with water when you put it in the oven so you don’t get boiling water all over your hands like I did.)
- Bake at 350 for roughly 45-50 minutes, until the flan is set. It should have a wobbly centre and a firm surface. Overcooking leads to bubbles (which you may see in my flan.. it is overcooked)
- Take them out and let it cool.
- When ready to serve, take a knife and gently go around the edges of the ramekin for it to unstick.
- Turn it upside down on a plate and jiggle it lightly until it plops right out on the plate! The caramel should ooze out as well.