Keto Flan || Low Carb Creme Caramel

by hungryelephant

Keto flan – or Creme caramel is a dish out of France & Spain. Also called crema catalana, it’s a firm custard with a soft caramel drizzle that is cooked right into the flan.

keto cravings cookbook, keto cravings

Buy my cookbooks on Amazon now!

So this flan is a little imperfect.. but you get the gist of how to make it. Just make sure you don’t overcook it otherwise you will have bubbles! (mine does)Take the flan out when it is just set.. meaning the top is flat and smooth, the outsides are set and firm but the centre is wobbly. Just make sure it is not TOO wobbly and like liquid. It should have a gelatin feel to it.

You will definitely want to make sure that you cool the flan in the fridge before serving. That will firm it up a bit more but still maintain a liquid caramel.

keto flan

It’s actually super easy to make. I thought it’d be hard but hell na! Super easy!.

This keto flan is perfect to wow your guests at any dinner party!

If you like these, make sure to check out my keto creme brulee, keto pumpkin spice creme brulee or my chocoflan!

keto flan
Yield: 3

Keto Flan || Low Carb Creme Caramel

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes

Keto flan - or Creme caramel is a dish out of France & Spain. Also called crema catalana, it's a firm custard with a soft caramel drizzle that is cooked right into the flan.

Ingredients

Instructions

1. In a deep pan, heat up your tbsp’s of erythritol and water on medium-low. Bring it to a simmer before adding in your butter.
  2. Stir occasionally until it becomes a dark amber colour… but make sure it doesn’t burn! It can burn easily!
  3. Once you have a nice amber colour going, scoop your caramel into three ramekins. Let it sit and cool.
  4. In a bowl, mix your cream, 1/4 cup of erythritol and vanilla. Stir until the sugar substitute has dissolved.
  5. In another bowl (or measuring cup) whisk together your eggs and egg yolk. Slowly whisk that into your cream mix, stirring until the egg and cream are one liquid (the egg whites don’t clump together etc)
  6. Pour your cream into the ramekins on top of the caramel. Place your ramekins into a casserole dish and fill it with boiling water (alternatively, you could fill the dish with water when you put it in the oven so you don’t get boiling water all over your hands like I did.)
  7. Bake at 350 for roughly 45-50 minutes, until the flan is set. It should have a wobbly centre and a firm surface. Overcooking leads to bubbles (which you may see in my flan.. it is overcooked)
  8. Take them out and let it cool.
  9. When ready to serve, take a knife and gently go around the edges of the ramekin for it to unstick.
  10. Turn it upside down on a plate and jiggle it lightly until it plops right out on the plate! The caramel should ooze out as well.
  11. Enjoy!

You may also like

18 comments

Debbie May 9, 2018 - 1:37 pm

The cook time in the video is 25 minutes byt in the written recipe its 45-50 min . which is the correct bake time please?

hungryelephant May 9, 2018 - 8:38 am

45 debbie!

Felix June 9, 2018 - 11:20 pm

Hello and thank you for sharing such a wonderful treat. I followed everything to a tee and the caramel hardened, any suggestions? Thanks

hungryelephant June 10, 2018 - 8:48 am

You may need to add some water to the caramel!

Grace Durazo July 7, 2020 - 7:46 pm

This sounds absolutely YIMMY!! Could allulose be used in place of erythritol? And if so, would it be 1 to 1

hungryelephant July 7, 2020 - 10:10 pm

hey! allulose should be fine but you’d need to add a bit MORE. The sweetness of Allulose is about 70% of the sweetness of sugar (and erythritol). So Add a teeny bit more.

Victoria June 23, 2018 - 9:39 pm

I’ve tried three times to make the caramel and it always hardens. I tried low heat then I tried medium heat and med heat just burnt it. I can never get it to become a sauce like in the video. What am I doing wrong??

hungryelephant June 24, 2018 - 7:21 pm

Try adding a little water or a splash of cream. That may stop it from hardening!

Jeannine September 7, 2018 - 2:17 am

What is the carb count for 1 of these

Shannon May 10, 2019 - 6:04 pm

Can you tell us what carb and fat count is? Thanks

hungryelephant May 10, 2019 - 7:26 pm

I dont have it on me at the moment but I will let you know shortly!

Sam July 27, 2019 - 3:10 pm

I’m also wondering what the sweet point is to turn the caramel. I tried to make the caramel 3 times too. First time added more water and cooked it longer. Second time I added cream and cooked it for a bit shorter. 3rd time. 3rd time I added cream and cooked it longer. Each time the caramel crystallized back into slushy gritty mess when it cooled. I didn’t have plain erythritol though, so I used lakanto sweetener that’s mixed with erythritol. Anyone else have any tips?

Nancy Watilo March 2, 2020 - 7:31 pm

I have also made it 3 times and am wondering how to get the caramel to run and not crystallize. I will try adding the extra water or cream next time. It’s still my favorite dessert!

Nobuko April 19, 2020 - 4:13 pm

I use allulose sweetener and came out 👌🏼 perfect.

Kristina June 21, 2020 - 11:50 am

Did you use the liquid allulose or the powdered?

Brianna April 20, 2020 - 2:13 pm

How long does it take to cool down before serving?

Rika June 2, 2020 - 11:14 pm

To anyone trying this recipe after I write this review, here are a few tips that helped me.
1. Trying to make the caramel with the erythritol took forever for me, then burned. It was a complete fail. Don’t raise the temperature. Keep it on low-medium, nothing higher than medium, be patient.
2. I used equal parts allulose. It caramelized much better without issue. It still takes a while, about 7-10minutes of constant watching and stirring. But it caramelizes beautifully and tastes amazing without the cool sensation and awkward after taste from erythritol.
3. When placing your dish in the oven, you might want to put them on the bottom rack. When I placed mine on the top rack, the top browned completely. However, when cooled and turned onto the plate, the texture and color of the rest of the dish was perfect. No bubbles or burnt taste.
4. I was so impatient. I placed my ramekins in the refrigerator straight out of the oven for 10 minutes. I placed 1 of the 3 in the freezer for 5 – 7 minutes and it cooled it down to a temp where it was good to eat.
5. Also FYI 4tbsp = 1/4 cup

I am so happy that I can make a Keto flan. I drive past my favorite mexican restaurant daily and wish that I could enjoy flan… Now I can – guilt free!

Rhonda S January 1, 2021 - 10:58 pm

This is now my go to dessert- with guest or without! I did add a pinch of Himalayan pink salt to the cream and it added even better flavor! Thanks for this