One of my favourite treats growing up in Canada was a Jos Louis (still 100% not sure how to pronounce it).. The red velvet moon pie with a marshmallow cream inside and chocolate ganache outside.. They were (and still are) a kids favourite!
Today, it was time to ketofy it. Instead of a marshmallow inside, I made an easy mascarpone vanilla cream.
My first cookbook – Keto Cravings – is out now! Buy on Amazon!
One of my favourite treats growing up in Canada was a Jos Louis. Time to make a keto version!
- 1/4 cup (50g) sour cream
- 1/4 cup (50g) butter – melted
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup (59ml) heavy cream
- 1 cup (100g) almond flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup (50g) sugar substitute (I used erythritol)
- 3/4 cup (170g) mascarpone cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup (50g) sugar substitute
- 1 sugar free, keto chocolate bar (approx 70g, eg. Lily’s brand)
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together your mascarpone, sugar substitute and vanilla.
- Cover and chill in the fridge.
- In a larger mixing bowl, stir all the cake ingredients until a somewhat runny batter comes together.
- Place a small (1/4 cup) scoop of the batter into a non-stick 12cm (5-inch) spring form pan. Spread it around to cover the bottom of the cake.
- Either using a spoon, or a piping bag, place a layer of the mascarpone cream on top of the batter. Make sure the cream stops about an inch from the sides of the pan
- Place another scoop of batter on top of the cream and spread it around, effectively covering all the cream.
- Put the cake(s) in the oven at 350°F/175°C for 20 minutes.
- Take out and let cool.
- After your cakes have cooled. Place your keto, sugar free chocolate bar in a microwavable dish. Add in your 3 tbsp of cream and microwave until the chocolate has melted.
- Pour onto the cooled cakes and spread around with a spatula.
- Let cool in the fridge for a minimum of 1 hour, but preferably 2-3 hours. That will give it time for the chocolate to cool and harden.
3.5 net carbs per cake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 193 Total Fat: 18.7g Carbohydrates: 5.5g Fiber: 2g Protein: 4.9g