I have seen SO many people using hearts of palm as a good low carb noodle alternative so you KNOW I had to jump on the bandwagon. I figured this would be a good time to make keto carbonara!
So when I went to get hearts of palm noodles, I couldn’t find any already in noodle form (Palmini). I did however find WHOLE hearts of palm and they work just as great!
One of the things I noticed is that they have a distinct smell/taste, but you can neutralize it by soaking it in milk. (You don’t drink the milk, so it’s still low carb) Soaking it in milk will neutralize the acid apparently, but you could probably just give it a thorough rinse in through a colander as well.
Now these are a really great replacement for noodles, I’ve found! They act and look just like linguini, just not as long!
When you are cooking these noodles, I used bacon because I couldn’t find any pancetta. For a more traditional carbonara, use pancetta. As well, when cooking the noodles in the bacon fat, make sure you cook them enough to evaporate any extra liquid. If you don’t, your sauce may turn out runny. I will also mention that when I made the video for this recipe, I used 3 medium eggs. I recommend using 2 medium eggs instead!
Keto Carbonara with Palm Heart Noodles
Keto carbonara without all the guilt of the wheat pasta. Only 4 net carbs per serving and packed with flavour!
- 2 cans (225g) drained heart of palm noodles
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 medium eggs
- 50g (1/3 cup) parmesan cheese
- In a pan over medium heat, cook your bacon until your desired crunchiness or softness. (I like mine CRUNCHY!)
- While the bacon is cooking, stir together the eggs, parmesan and some salt/pepper in a small bowl.
- Thoroughly rinse the noodles.
- Once the bacon is done, set it aside but KEEP the grease in the pan.
- Pour the noodles into the pan with the bacon grease and stir to make sure all the noodles get coated.
- Cook until any extra liquid has been evaporated.
- Turn off the heat and let it sit a minute.
- Pour the egg mixture onto the noodles, stirring constantly so the egg does not scramble. If the pan is too hot, lift it up off the heat.
- Your egg will cook as you stir and become creamy.
- Once it's hot and creamy, crumble in the bacon and mix.
- Top with extra parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and any other herbs like green onions!
This makes 3 servings.
Nutritional Information per serving:
NET CARBS: 4.2
I just love the hearts of palm noodles, but have a hard time finding them sometimes
What did you do with the whole hearts of palm? Did you just hand slice them, or use a mandolin or v-slicer?
[…] Original recipe and nutritional info can be found at https://www.thehungryelephant.ca/2019/08/01/keto-carbonara/ […]