I think olive bread is one of my favourite breads. It’s a little salty and the olives give it some big flavour. So you know I had to recreate it as a low carb version.
Now before I go on, I will mention that this is more of a low carb bread than a ‘keto bread’ because of the arrowroot. If you can fit it into your macros, then by all means but each slice is a bit more carbs than my usual keto bread.
According to Dr. Berg has mentioned, arrowroot is low-glycemic and can be used in moderation. I do understand if serious keto-ers do not want to make this recipe though.
But it is still low carb! Regular wheat olive bread is roughly around 25 carbs per slice which is insane. This one – only 9 whole carbs!
If you want to try to make this keto – you can attempt to use 1.5 cups (100g) whey instead of arrowroot (check out my white bread recipe and see what I mean) but you’ll probably have to adjust the water to be about 1 cup (250ml) and I recommend subbing some of the water for butter.
Other than that, this recipe is super easy. You will probably be able to get a bit more lift from the yeast than I did. I think mine was a bit underproved but it was still delicious!
Low carb olive bread! This slightly salty loaf is gluten and grain free! Perfect with some butter and a nice lasagna. YUM.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together the almond flour, arrowroot, xanthan gum, sugar, salt and quick yeast.
- Separate the eggs and set aside the egg yolks for later.
- Add the egg whites, olive oil, warm water, olives and olive water to the dry mix.
- Stir until a somewhat thick batter has formed.
- Dump the batter onto parchment paper.
- Wet your hands and form one circular loaf with the dough, smoothing down the top.
- Place in a warm area and leave to rise for 45mins to an hour.
- Brush with the egg yolks.
- Bake at 400°F / 200°C for 35 minutes. Cover with foil when it begins to brown.
- Take out and let cool completely before cutting open.
This makes around 15 slices.
Nutritional Information per slice:
- CALS: 124
- FAT: 8.8
- CARBS: 9.4
- FIBRE: 1.8
- NET CARBS: 7.6
- PROTEIN: 3.7