Happy 2023! It’s been a hot minute since I have been able to publish a recipe but today I finally managed to make some low carb tomato soup!
It’s been a bit of a rough end to 2022, money wise. The stove broke, had to get a new one, then my year old MacBook pro broke and took all my pictures, videos, templates, etc with it. So bare with me as I get used to this new computer, new software. Im working on it!
Now let’s talk tomato soup. I love a good tomato soup. Especially when it is cheesy and full of flavour – none of that Campbell’s nonsense.
One suggestion I have is to make this several hours or at least a day ahead of time. It tastes good right off the stove but it tastes even better when the flavours have time to settle in. I made this on a Saturday and am enjoying it for dinner on a Sunday.
One important note is that when you get the crushed tomatoes, to make sure it has no sugar added. Usually they don’t but I think a few brands do add a little sugar. As for making this low carb tomato soup – it’s super simple and made in one pot. All you have to do is throw the ingredients into a pot, blend using an immersion blender and voila – it’s done!
Hope you all enjoy this delicious soup. Make sure to check out my keto cauliflower soup, hot and sour soup and egg drop soup!
Low Carb Tomato Soup
- 1 medium onion - chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2-3 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp parsley
- 1 tbsp basil
- 2 tbsp sugar substitute
- 3 cups (750ml) vegetable broth
- 2 796ml cans of crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup (250ml) heavy cream
- Approx 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- salt, pepper
- In a deep pot, add the onion, spices, butter, sugar substitute and garlic.
- Cook on medium until the onions are fragarent and translucent.
- Add in the crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth and heavy cream. Cook until hot.
- Using an immersion blender (or a stand blender) blend the soup until it is smooth with no large chunks of onions.
- Add in the parmesan cheese tbsp by tbsp. Mix it in thoroughly before adding another spoonful.
- Eat, or save for next day when its at its best flavour!