Yup – it’s time for a new bread recipe and this time, it’s keto pesto bread! A nice, fluffy bread with garlic, basil and pine nuts! A new favourite for SURE.
This recipe is based upon my keto white bread recipe. With the addition of butter and pesto, it takes it up a notch on the delicious level!
A few things to say, because I know I will get these questions – no, you can’t replace the protein powder. You will need it. I used whey isolate however you can use casein, egg or collagen protein powder as a replacement, but you need the powder.
This also can’t be made with coconut flour – or at least I haven’t successfully tried. It’s soaks up too much water so at this time, I don’t suggest swapping out flours.
As for the pesto – I bought mine at a local farmers market. Try to find one without added sugars. My pesto has 7 carbs per 100g, so try to find something similar (or make your own).
The recipe itself is fairly straight forward and easy. To be honest, I was worried it would turn out as a green bread but it didn’t and it smelt AMAZING.
Enjoy! If you like this recipe, make sure to check out my garlic bread, cheese bread and my original white bread recipe!
Keto Pesto Bread
It's time for a new bread recipe and this time, it's keto pesto bread! A nice, fluffy bread with garlic, basil and pine nuts! A new favourite for SURE.
- 2.5 cups (250g) almond flour
- 2 cups (140g) protein powder
- 2 tsp xanthan gum
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup (50g) parmesan cheese
- 6 tbsp pesto
- 1/2 cup (100g) melted butter
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Stir in the melted butter until it has formed clumps in the dough. Don;t worry if it's not incorporated very well.
- Pour in the water and whisk until a thick cake batter like dough forms.
- Finally, fold in the pesto.
- Pour the dough into an 8.5x4.5 tin lined with parchment paper.
- Smooth down the top of the bread dough with wet hands.
- Top with extra parmesan (optional)
- Bake at 350°F / 175°C for 45 minutes.
- Take out and let cool.
- Slice and enjoy!
This makes roughly 20 slices.
Nutritional Information per slice:
- CALS: 175
- FAT: 13.8
- CARBS: 3.3
- FIBRE: 1.5
- NET CARBS: 1.8
- PROTEIN: 11.1
Where do the pine nuts come in?
the pine nuts are in the pesto 🙂