Ever had a Nanaimo bar? Outside of Canada, I’m pretty sure it’s unheard of, but it’s one of the most delicious things ever. Thankfully I made some yummy keto Nanaimo bars!
It’s a 3-layered, no bake bar. 1st layer is a graham cracker crust, 2nd is a custard and the final, top layer is a chocolate ganache. Of course we cant use graham crackers, so today I ‘ketofied’ the Nanaimo bar, making it very low carb.
My cookbooks are available in paperback and ebook on Amazon now!
A lot of people have been asking what is custard powder? Well, basically it is a powder that allows you to make custard without eggs! I used Bird brand. It’s usually found in supermarkets in Canada and the UK/Europe but might be hard to find in the US. You can always replace it with a thick stovetop custard.
One suggestion I will make is to only use 1 cup of sugar for the custard (2nd layer). While I enjoyed mine, I thought it was a little too sweet. So step it back a little and it will be perfect.
If you like these keto Nanaimo bars, make sure to check out my keto Mississippi mud pie, Japanese Cheesecake or Yorkshire puddings!
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar substitute (I used xylitol)
1 egg – beaten
5 tbsp cocoa
1 cup almond flour
1 cup unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup butter
2 tbsp custard powder
1 1/2 cups sugar substitute for icing sugar (i ground down xylitol)
2 tbsp + 2 tsp heavy cream
3rd and final layer
2 tbsp butter
4oz unsweetened chocolate
1 tbsp sugar substitute
- Use a double boiler to melt your butter, sugar and cocoa together on medium heat.
- Slowly stir in the egg and whisk until it starts to thicken,
- Take off heat and pour in the almond flour and coconut.
- Spread the almond coconut dough on the bottom of an ungreased brownie pan or casserole dish.
- Let it cool.
- In a mixing bowl, toss in your butter, custard powder, sugar substitute and cream.
- With a hand or stand mixer, beat until it gets nice and fluffy. Approx 3-5 minutes.
- Once fluffy, spread over the top of the almond flour crust.
- Melt your butter over low heat.
- Add in your chocolate and sugar substitute, stirring until the sugar and chocolate dissolve.
- Take off heat and let it cool, but not enough to harden,
- Pour it over the top of the custard and spread it around evenly.
- Cover with seran/cling wrap and chill for 2-4 hours.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 189 Total Fat: 15.4g Carbohydrates: 5.2g Fiber: 2.3g Protein: 2.3g