Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Ever had a Nanaimo bar? Outside of Canada, I’m pretty sure it’s unheard of, but it’s one of the most delicious things ever.

It’s a 3-layered, no bake bar. 1st layer is a graham cracker crust, 2nd is a custard and the final, top layer is a chocolate ganache. Of course we cant use graham crackers, so today I ‘ketofied’ the Nanaimo bar, making it very low carb.

One suggestion I will make is to only use 1 cup of sugar for the custard (2nd layer). While I enjoyed mine, I thought it was a little too sweet. So step it back a little and it will be perfect.

My first cookbook – Keto Cravings – is on Amazon now!

Low Carb Nanaimo Bars

Low Carb Nanaimo Bars

A Canadian delicacy made keto. These low carb Nanaimo bars are sugar, grain and gluten free!

Ingredients

1st layer:

• 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup sugar substitute (I used xylitol)
  • 1 egg – beaten
  • 5 tbsp cocoa
  • 1 cup almond flour
  • 1 cup unsweetened coconut

2nd layer:

• 1/2 cup butter
  • 2 tbsp custard powder
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar substitute for icing sugar (i ground down xylitol)
  • 2 tbsp + 2 tsp heavy cream

3rd and final layer

• 2 tbsp butter
  • 4oz unsweetened chocolate
  • 1 tbsp sugar substitute

Instructions

First Layer:

1. Use a double boiler to melt your butter, sugar and cocoa together on medium heat.
  2. Slowly stir in the egg and whisk until it starts to thicken,
  3. Take off heat and pour in the almond flour and coconut.
  4. Spread the almond coconut dough on the bottom of an ungreased brownie pan or casserole dish.
  5. Let it cool.

Second layer:

1. In a mixing bowl, toss in your butter, custard powder, sugar substitute and cream.
  2. With a hand or stand mixer, beat until it gets nice and fluffy. Approx 3-5 minutes.
  3. Once fluffy, spread over the top of the almond flour crust.

Third Layer:

1.  Melt your butter over low heat.
  2. Add in your chocolate and sugar substitute, stirring until the sugar and chocolate dissolve.
  3. Take off heat and let it cool, but not enough to harden,
  4. Pour it over the top of the custard and spread it around evenly.
  5. Cover with seran/cling wrap and chill for 2-4 hours.

Notes

2.9 net carbs per slice.

Nutrition Information:
Yield: 25 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 189 Total Fat: 15.4g Carbohydrates: 5.2g Fiber: 2.3g Protein: 2.3g
Liked it? Take a second to support hungryelephant on Patreon!

8 Comments

1. Sara

July 21, 2017 at 1:44 pm

What is custard powder?

• hungryelephant

July 21, 2017 at 4:19 pm

Hi Sara,

Custard Powder is a British no-egg custard mix. You can buy it online at walmart, target, amazon.. etc!

2. Chris Brown

August 13, 2017 at 12:35 am

I couldn’t find it at Wal-Mart so I ordered it on Amazon. I can’t wait to make these!

3. Karina

August 28, 2017 at 5:32 pm

Made these over the weekend with my daughter, they were excellent! I will have to find a substitute for the icing sugar or grind my substitute sugar so that it is finer, as was suggested.
    Found the custard powder at Provigo (formerly Loblaws in Quebec).
    Thank you @HUNGRYELEPHANT !!!

• hungryelephant

August 29, 2017 at 3:36 am

yay! so glad you liked it!

4. Pauline

September 10, 2017 at 2:08 am

My mother used to make these when I was a kid!! So pleased to find a low-carb version – and I’m from New Zealand, with no Canadian connections at all ☺ But Im surprided you use custard powder; does that meet lc definition? Is there another way to do it?

• hungryelephant

September 10, 2017 at 5:28 am

Hi pauline! The custard powder does have carbs in it, but I think it was like 9 for 2 tbsp. alternatively you could just make a thick low carb vanilla custard and use that instead! Same thing! The custard powder is just a way to make eggless custard.

5. Cerise

November 24, 2018 at 11:41 pm

OMG I just started keto and was trying to figure out how to make my favorite Christmas time dessert! This is AMAZING! I’m an ex-pat and everyone I’ve made Nanaimo Bars for here in the US has loved them…and now are all on diets (not related…LOL). Thank you for saving me the steps to figure it out! 🙂