One of my favourite treats! This carrot cake recipe is a delicious savoury treat that can be enjoyed year-round!
You’ll probably wondering, and I’m sure I will get some comments, whether carrots are actually considered *KETO*. Let me just say, that while carrots are a bit higher in carbs and considered a root vegetable, they are ok to eat in MODERATION.
In this recipe, I only used one and a half medium sized carrots – which is approximately 10 carbs. However if you choose not to eat carrots on keto, that’s up to you!
So this recipe doesn’t call for a lot of liquid. I tried it with some butter and cream but because the shredded carrots provide a lot of liquid, the loaf just came out soggy. Using just the 2 eggs is perfect and there’s no eggy taste.
One note I will add, for this carrot cake recipe, it is that it is best to shred your own carrots. If you buy them in store, they are too thick for carrot cake.
Oh! also – if you watched the video and noticed that the cinnamon doesn’t look like cinnamon – it’s because I ran out of the powder and had to grind up some cinnamon sticks. Same taste – different texture/look.
Keto carrot cake with cream cheese frosting! Super easy to make, gluten and sugar free, PLUS it's only 3.5 net carbs per slice! One of my new favourite desserts!
- 1 1/2 medium sized carrots - shredded
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp allspice
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 6 tbsp brown sugar substitute
- 6 tbsp white sugar substitute
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups (200g) almond flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup (90g) cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1.5 tbsp white sugar substitute
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
- Shred your carrots into a mixing bowl.
- Spoon in the spices, xanthan gum and sugar substitutes. Whisk together.
- Crack in the eggs and mix again.
- Pour in the almond flour and baking powder. Stir until you get a nice thick batter.
- Pour into a 8.5x4.5 loaf tin (or 9x5) and bake at 350°F / 175°C for 45 minutes.
- Take out and let cool.
- While the loaf cools, whisk together the icing ingredients.
- Once the loaf is cool, top with the cream cheese (and some extra shredded carrots if you want!)
- Enjoy - this makes roughly 12 slices.
Nutritional Information per slice:
- CALS: 150
- FAT: 12.8
- CARBS: 5.7
- FIBRE: 2.5
- NET CARBS: 3.2
- PROTEIN: 5.6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 150Total Fat: 12.8gCarbohydrates: 5.7gFiber: 2.5gProtein: 5.6g