Fried chicken with a twist – these keto Dorito chicken legs are absolutely amazing and SO easy to make!
For this recipe, I used chicken legs – bone and skin on. You can use any chicken you’d like but best to have skin on for that extra CRUNCH.
I made a previous recipe for Doritos using cheese powder but this time I figured I’d give it a try with nutritional yeast. It was delicious! If you can’t find cheese powder or nutritional yeast, you can try parmesan cheese. YUM.
A few tips before I get into the recipe: if your chicken is very wet in the package, gently dry it off with a paper towel before dipping into the whey isolate (or coconut flour).
I did try to deep fry the chicken already coated with the dorito dust BUT the dust dissolved into the beef drippings when I was frying it.
Remember to be safe when frying (alternatively, you could bake them) – keep a lid and fire extinguisher near by! Choose an oil with a high smoke point.
If you like this recipe, make sure to check out my keto Doritos, crackers/chips, or fathead flatbread!
Keto Dorito Chicken
Delicious KDC - keto Dorito chicken! High protein, low carb and best of all super delicious!
- 4 chicken legs - bone & skin on (around 900g)
- 1 scoop (30g) whey isolate (or coconut flour)
- Beef drippings (or other oil) for frying
- 1/2 cup (50g) nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- salt (to taste)
- 1 tsp sugar substitute (optional)
- In a bowl, whisk together all the Dorito dust ingredients. Set aside.
- Heat up the oil for frying. Make sure temp does not go above smoke point.
- If chicken is very wet, dry with paper towel.
- Rub the whey isolate (or coconut flour) over the raw chicken. Make sure it is generously coated.
- Place one of the coated chicken legs into the HOT oil.
- Fry until nice and crispy - flip as needed. It should take about 15-ish minutes.
- As soon as the chicken is done, place it into the Dorito dust and generously coat.
- Set the dorito chicken aside as you continue with the rest of the meat.
- Once you're done - serve! I served mine with yummy cauliflower rice! I'd also add a nice portion of fat!
This makes roughly 4 dorito chicken legs, but you could probably get several thighs, drumsticks and wings out of this recipe.
Nutritional Information per leg (no cauli rice)
- CALS: 294
- FAT: 4.7
- CARBS: 6.1
- FIBRE: 2.5
- NET CARBS: 3.6
- PROTEIN: 57.2
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 294Total Fat: 4.7gCarbohydrates: 6.1gFiber: 3.5gProtein: 57.2g
That Dorito Dust recipe is PURE GENIUS! I am making the Keto Taco Casserole this weekend! But my mouth is already watering!