Looking to curb that crunchy craving? Boy do I have the perfect snack for you. This is one of the best doritos recipes! Fully keto, sugar free and also NUT free.
Basically, I took my cracker recipe and made it into doritos. The only thing is that I didn’t have any almond flour and I wasn’t able to get any so I ground up more of my sunflower seeds and it worked perfectly!
In this recipe, I used cheese powder, which is basically just ground up dehydrated cheese. You can make your own by dehydrating some cheddar and then putting it through the food processor. OR you can buy some Moon Cheese (Cheddar) and grind them up. Super easy!
Now if you’re in Europe, Moon Cheese or cheese powder isn’t readily available, so I bought a package of Knorr’s Cheese Sauce powder and used that instead! Super easy.
One note I will say is to roll the the dough as flat as you can. Paper thin if possible. That way, you’ll get a ton of chips and optimal crispiness. If they are thick, they will soften up as they cool.
When you’re frying the chips, best to use an oil or grease that has a high smoke point. I used beef drippings, but avocado oil, coconut oil, tallow and lard are also great for frying. Remember to be safe and keep a lid near by incase of any fires! Do not extinguish grease fires with water!
If you don’t have sunflower seeds, you can definitely use almond flour in replacement. Use 1 cup or 100g.
Have you made them? Rate this recipe below and tell us if these are one of the better keto doritos recipes you’ve tried!
- 1.25 cups (80g) ground sunflower seeds
- 2 scoops (40g) whey isolate
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp water
- Beef drippings (for frying)
- 6 tbsp cheese powder (see above!)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- To make the Doritos dust, just whisk together all the dust ingredients in a bowl, or you can send it through a food processor/coffee grinder to make sure it's fairly smooth.
- For the chips, In a bowl, mix together the ground sunflower seeds, whey isolate and xanthan gum.
- Add in the olive oil and water. Use your hands to mix it all together into a dough ball.
- Roll the dough between two pieces of parchment paper. Roll as thin as you can, preferably paper thin.
- Cut the dough into chip shaped pieces as you heat up the beef drippings in a deep pan on high heat.
- Place one chip into the oil. If it immediately starts to sizzle, it is hot enough.
- Place a few chips into the oil and a time and cook until a nice brown colour, about 4 minutes. Flip half way through to cook evenly.
- Once the chips are cooked, take them straight from the pan and dip into the doritos dust.
- Continue cooking and dusting each chip.
- Let them cool and enjoy!
This makes roughly 6 servings.
Nutritional information per serving:
- CALS: 106
- FAT: 5.4
- CARBS: 6
- FIBRE: 1
- NET CARBS: 5
- PROTEIN: 9.4
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 106 Total Fat: 5.4g Carbohydrates: 6g Fiber: 1g Protein: 9.4g