A few weeks ago I made some delicious fathead & egg free keto donuts! I loved them and they are super delicious but you can’t fry them. So I figured I’d try to make keto donut holes that are FRIED.
So a difference between these two recipes is that these donut holes have eggs. It is necessary to have eggs. I did try it without it but the batter dissolved into the oil and it was a mess. Did not work. So do NOT skip over the eggs.
I always get questions on whether you can skip the protein powder – I will say no. It gives it that fluffy bready texture. I used whey isolate however you could also use collagen protein powder or any other keto friendly protein powder.
Secondly, you don’t have to use unflavoured – you can use any flavour you like! You’d probably still have to add a touch of flavour extract, like vanilla, banana etc. I used vanilla as well as Oooflavors Vanilla Cupcake which is AMAZING.
If you like these donut holes, make sure to check out my keto egg free donuts, baked cake bites, or keto funnel cake!
Keto Donut Holes (Fried)
Keto donut holes made easy! No fathead dough, no cheese! Very yum and only 1.3 net carbs per donut hole!
- 1 cup (100g) almond flour
- 1 scoop (30g) protein powder
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup (65g) sugar substitute
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 tsp olive oil (or butter)
- 2 medium eggs
- Oil or drippings for frying
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together your dry ingredients.
- Add in the olive oil, eggs and vanilla.
- Mix until you have a thick batter.
- Place the oil/drippings into a deep saucepan over medium/medium-low heat.
- Use wet hands to make a small ball of dough. The ball should be about half the size of a golf ball.
- Drop the dough ball into oil/drippings and fry on medium for 5-ish minutes.
- Let cool and continue to fry the rest of the dough.
- **If you find that your donut holes aren't cooked all the way through - you can throw them in the microwave for 10 second intervals until cooked however 5 minutes in the fryer should be fine)**
This makes 10 donut holes.
Nutritional Information per donut hole:
- CALS: 101
- FAT: 7.9
- CARBS: 2.5
- FIBRE: 1.2
- NET CARBS: 1.3
- PROTEIN: 6.3
Just made these donut holes and they came out great! Thank you!
I just made these but added 2 TBS cocoa powder and 1tsp chocolate extract. Delicious! Fried easily and 5 minutes was perfect! I dusted mine with powdered Swerve.
can you make full sized donuts from this recipe instead of donut holes?
Can I make these if I have no protein powder?
You’d probably need a protein powder or some sort
Do you have any idea what I could replace the protein powder with if possible?
You could try oat fibre but I haven’t tried it
Thank you for this recipe! Mine came out a little dry in the center, is there a trick to fix that? or I just didn’t measure correctly?
It just may have been over fried a bit! Id fry it a little less next time and see if that works!
What temperature do you recommend for frying?
These were absolutely delicious!
Just made these in my air fryer and they were great!
Stacie – How did you make them in the air fryer? Aren’t they too wet?
I had a good feeling from the look and feel of the dough that these had promise… but wow they were great! Crispy outside and cakey moist inside. And they fried up in perfect little deep golden balls….. thank you!!!