Ya’ll this wasn’t what I came out to make – I intended to actually make pizza buns but I forgot to get pepperoni.. Instead I decided to add a bunch more cheese and make some delicious keto cheese biscuits (basically a pizza bun).
Because I didn’t want to add a ton of spices that would kick up the carb count, I instead opted for the tomato sauce, which has no added sugar and would be lower in carbs than just adding garlic etc.
The brand of tomato sauce I used is Glen Muir which, like I said, has no added sugars. For 2.5 tbsp – it’s approximately 5 whole carbs. I can deal with that since it is spread over 6 biscuits.
As for the cheese – I used mozzarella, however you could use any kind of shredded cheese you want! Monterey Jack would taste amazing!
Like always, the whey in this video cannot be substituted or at least I have not found a suitable sub. However you can TRY to replace it with an extra 1/4 cup (25g) of almond flour. If the dough is still a bit dry when you mix it, add 1 tbsp of water at a time until a thick batter forms.
Similar to pizza buns, these keto cheese biscuits are BURSTING with flavour. Perfect addition to pasta or lasagna. Gluten, grain and sugar free.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the almond flour, whey isolate, parmesan, xanthan gum, and baking powder.
- Spoon in tomato sauce and give it a few stir to loosely mix it in.
- Pour in the water and mix until you have a thick batter.
- Fold in the mozzarella cheese.
- Use wet hands to form the batter into 6 balls.
- Place them onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle with a little extra parmesan.
- Bake at 375°F / 190°C for 25-30 minutes. The tops should be a nice brown.
This makes roughly 6 biscuits.
Nutritional Information per biscuit:
- CALS: 169
- FAT: 12.4
- CARBS: 4.7
- FIBRE: 2.1
- NET CARBS: 2.6
- PROTEIN: 11.8