A delicious keto rum cake! Soaked in a rum syrup, this is the perfect dessert. Only 1.9 net carbs per slice. Totally worth it.
Traditional Caribbean rum cakes usually add in some rum-soaked fruit, which by the way would be delicious, but for keto it would most likely be very high in carbs. So instead, I am making this similar to a ‘butter cake’ that is soaked in a delicious rum syrup (sugar free of course).
For this delightful dessert, I based it off my keto Kentucky butter cake recipe. It’s super easy and one of my most popular cakes. Instead of adding a ton of sour cream, I swapped some of it out to add in the rum! Simple!
I also added in a tablespoon of whey isolate, however this is totally optional. I just like that it helps the cake rise just a little bit better than without it.
As for the rum – you can use any kind but as I’m typing this, I feel like mentioning spiced rum might taste amazing. If anyone uses spiced rum, leave a comment below to let me know how it tastes!
A delicious keto rum cake! Soaked in a rum syrup, this is the perfect dessert. Only 1.9 net carbs per slice.
- 2 1/2 cups (250g) almond flour
- 1 tbsp whey isolate (optional)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup (60g) sour cream
- 1/3 cup (78ml) rum
- 1/4 cup (50g) butter - melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar substitute
- 1/4 cup (50g) butter
- 2 tbsp rum
- 2 tbsp sugar substitute
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp rum extract (optional)
- For the cake - in a mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, sugar substitute sour cream, melted butter, vanilla and rum.
- Pour in the almond flour and baking powder.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Pour into a greased bundt pan.
- Bake at 350°F / 175°C for 35 minutes.
- Once cake is done, keep it in the pan and use a skewer to poke several deep holes in it.
- In a pot over medium heat, make the syrup - melt the butter together with the rest of the ingredients and cook until the sugar substitute has dissolved.
- Pour the syrup onto the cake and swirl it around so that the syrup goes into the holes.
- Set aside and let cool.
- Take out from the bundt pan and enjoy!
This makes 12 slices.
Nutritional Information Per slice:
- CALS: 185
- FAT: 16.6
- CARBS: 3.4
- FIBRE: 1.5
- NET CARBS: 1.9
- PROTEIN: 4.7